Reporting to the Vice President, Asset Management, the Senior Director, Property Management will provide vision and support to senior management of the region, ensuring best-in-class practices are adopted and promote a service excellence culture throughout the organization. The primary objective of this position is to manage the profitability and daily operations of the Company’s portfolio in Montreal and Halifax. The Senior Director, Property Management has full responsibility within the regional property management and asset management structure, for decisions and actions that have the potential to significantly affect financial results. He/she also has full responsibility and accountability for employee management, planning, organizing, directing and controlling property management functions within this region.
• In conjunction with Asset Management, to establish the overall direction of property management services for the portfolio on a regional basis; focusing on long range planning, service benchmarking and profitability.
• To provide direction, vision, motivation and development for all staff within the property management group.
• To ensure leading-edge policies and procedures are in place for all aspects of property management operations including tenant relations, building operations, construction services, security/life safety, environmental compliance, purchase due diligence, etc.
• In conjunction with the Senior Asset Manager, joint venture partners, the asset and leasing groups, the development group and other parties or groups within GWLRA provide these groups with property management reports and related property information in a professional manner and timely basis.
• To participate and play a major role in any acquisition, disposition, development and renovation of existing and new real estate investments.
• To be accountable for all property management functions within his/her respective region.
• To position GWLRA Property Management to be regarded as a leading property manager in the region.
• To develop a property management culture, based on GWLRA’s core values.
• To ensure that new programs, policies or procedures are initiated in support of GWLRA’s “Best of Class” commitment to tenants and national standards.
• To develop, negotiate and manage regional service contracts.
• To continually look for new ways to improve property management services, add value and reduce operating expenses.
• To develop and implement long-term strategy on staff development and recognition.
• To be innovative, approachable, a coach, a negotiator, a communicator and a listener.
• To prepare and submit a list of goals and objectives at the beginning of each fiscal year which will be used in part for annual performance reviews.
• To ensure that GWLRA core values are observed and practiced.
• To establish and maintain an excellent climate of working relations with tenants, staff, clients and all levels of GWLRA management, consistent with encouraging improved services and performance.
• Will keep senior management well informed on all matters relating to property management and national initiative activities.
• Will ensure that all company policies and standards are observed.
• University degree which is directly applicable to the job (e.g. computer science degree, business specialization, CMA, RPA, CPM or be able to demonstrate equivalent experience)
• 7 to 10 years experience
• Must be bilingual
• Property management knowledge (including, but not limited to, building operations, customer service, security and life safety, occupational health and safety, building code and construction regulations).
• Experience with the re-development of a property is an asset.
• Business management skills.
• Negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of information systems/accounting.
• Communication/people management skills.
• Computer proficiency.
• Good understanding of current and emerging technology relating to property management.
• Exposure to operating a significant property management portfolio.
• Professional and self-motivated.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.