Sustainability makes our properties better—for communities, for tenants and residents, and for our clients.
of our eligible portfolio (by floor area) has green building certifications
reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
A strong environmental management system is fundamental to operating high-performing, resource-efficient and lower-carbon buildings.
It grows the value of our clients’ assets, while mitigating risks, reducing operating costs, increasing tenant loyalty and preserving the environment.
Our corporate Sustainability Team is responsible for ensuring environmental policies, procedures, objectives and programs are effectively implemented. As part of our approach:
- We made a commitment to do our part to help build a low-carbon economy by moving towards net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050.
- We ensure that properties within our portfolio are carefully managing a broad range of environmental risks, including hazardous materials, chemicals, chlorofluorocarbons, waste, indoor air quality, and mould prevention and management.
- Portfolio, asset and property management teams work together to identify realistic and economically feasible projects to improve the efficiency of buildings and reduce their environmental impacts.
- For our office portfolio, we continued the Sustainability Benchmarking and Conservation Program, which assesses annual performance, supports decision-making and encourages energy, water and waste reductions. The program includes five-year (2018–2023) property-level targets for energy efficiency, water management and waste reduction
- We conduct due diligence assessments and third-party environmental compliance checks of environmental management activities at our properties.
- Environmental impacts are tracked through our customized Building Sustainability Profiles database and reporting system, which provides standardized carbon, energy, waste and water data for each asset.
- The Sustainability Team reviews carbon, energy, water and waste performance, comparing our results against industry benchmarks and best practices, regional averages and internal performance measures. The information is provided to property and asset management teams to help them target improvements. Our portfolio’s sustainability performance is presented and reviewed at least once annually to Executive and senior leadership teams.
Climate Risk Management
Green Building Certifications
Ultimately, we want to achieve green building certifications for all eligible assets under our management. Our program ensures that we target the right green building rating for the asset, and that qualifying criteria are assessed and effectively managed for ongoing eligibility.
The two most important standards for us are the BOMA BEST® and LEED® green building rating and certification systems, both of which are internationally recognized frameworks. Qualifying criteria for these standards include the use of sustainable materials, innovative design and construction, site locations, health and indoor air quality, sustainable and connected communities, and resource efficiency related to water, energy and waste. Our teams also selectively pursue health, wellness and accessibility focused property certifications, including FitWel®, WELL™ and the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification™ (RHFAC), which are designed to support healthier workplace environments and improve occupant health and productivity.